Monday, April 19, 2010

Life Backflip!

I've been busy! Right after my last post I got to do something VERY special. I hitched a ride with my caseworker as she piked up the little man from day care and delivered him to kindergarten. He's adorable, sweet, outgoing, polite... and when we dropped him off he asked, "Are you bringing that girl?" This was after she told him she's pick him up at 3. Cute! I had the opportunity to do this because my job is over in the Health and Human Services Department. I feel really lucky to have that connection through all of this. Otherwise, I'd probably be more in the dark about this boy than I am. I do know some details about him and his family, which I won't post here. Usually foster parents know very little about the family, at least that's the impression I get from other foster parents.
I've accomplished a lot in the past few days. Our guest bedroom/office has been cleared out. We decided it should be empty of any of our belongings so that the child really feels that it is their space. It's funny, we have no kid stuff though. Save for one childrens book called Thunder Cake. I don't even know what it's about but I put it in there.
I completed my first aid, which by the way you can do online at www.onlineaha.org. They do CPR too but I'm already certified. After the online test you do have to go to EMS and show them some skills you learned to get your actual card. Anthony's getting certified tonight because he prefers a real live class.
Our home study is scheduled for this Wednesday 2-4pm and they gave us the home study checklist so we could be as prepared as possible. It's amazing what they have to put on there... child must have a bed that is in a room not being used for other purposes (ie, kitchen, bathroom), home must have refridgeration, etc. So, somethings were no brainers but we did have to write up a family emergency plan. And of course there are lots of things we just want to do, to get ready.
Last but not least, our 12 hours of CORE training are this weekend. Then we'll be what they called pre-certified. Which means we can foster even though we aren't quite done yet. Then we might take in little man. Then my life will do a backflip.

No comments:

Post a Comment